"It has now been two years since setting up in my room and I continue to be impressed with the emotion that these loudspeakers evoke."
- Blake B, Pittsburgh, Jan 2014
Bamberg 2 TMM in Ruby Red
Bamberg 2 TMM
The Series 2 TMM is a reference grade wide band 2.5-way floor standing loudspeaker with excellent bass down to the second octave. Best performance is achieved with high quality recordings and source equipment.
Intended uses are for 2-channel audio in moderate size rooms. A subwoofer is normally not needed, unless one is desired for video systems.
This speaker sets a new performance/cost standard for all Bamberg designs. We encourage you to compare its sound quality and value to any and all alternatives. This speaker is a real toe-tapper!
PricingStarting at $3100 pair, paint or veneer
[click for more info]
- Pedestal shaped cabinet acts as integral stand for monitor, setting the Reference Axis to 1 meter above the floor.
- Dual passive radiators and heavy speaker weight on spikes eliminates cabinet motion, which leads to very tight bass sound.
- Stereo woofers for higher maximum SPL, lower distortion, less room interaction, and no localization cues.
- 1.25" thick MDF baffle, fully cross-braced at driver hole webs.
- Acoustic scallops in woofer hole interior edges smoothes low treble response.
- 3/4" thick MDF wall panels with fine exterior finish.
- Three interior cross braces between opposing panels.
- Convoluted foam bonded to interior panels.
- 100% stuffed improves midrange clarity.
- Deluxe gold binding posts, no terminal cups.
- A 2.5-way crossover behaves like a hybrid between a 2-way (woofer-tweeter) and 3-way (woofer-midrange-tweeter). The high woofer crosses over to the tweeter like a regular 2-way, so the dispersion pattern is essentially that of a single woofer MT layout, and there is no comb filtering as with a regular MTM layout.
- The high woofer's naturally rising response is intentionally not tilted back to level. (Refer to the specs page, blue curve.) Instead, the low woofer (brown curve) is used to fill in the lower half of the midrange, where the high woofer is lacking. Acoustically, the two woofers sum similar to a first order crossover.
- The extra '.5' low woofer is gradually tapered out beginning at a much lower frequency; doubling the power handling, and increasing sensitivity by 6dB.
- Voice coil windings immersed in magnetic fluid increase short term power handling capacity and reduce the compression at high power levels.
- High Definition precoated fabric dome tweeter with an integrated wide, precoated fabric surround.
- Two part 6mm elastomer front plate with smooth, slightly elliptical wave guide made from elastomer provide excellent high frequency response and dispersion.
- Substantial injection molded zinc rear chamber eliminates unwanted chamber resonances.
- Large magnet system for faster transient response. Heavy copper rings to reduce nonlinear and modulation distortion and increase overload margin.
- Precision cast and surface treated reed/paper cone coupled to a natural rubber surround showing no sign of edge (midrange) resonances.
- Extremely stiff and stable injection molded metal basket to keep the critical components in perfect alignment.
- Large windows in the basket both above and below the spider to reduce sound reflection, air flow noise and cavity resonance to a minimum.
Technical DataComplete Specifications Binder [new window]
|Height||108 cm / 42.6"|
|Width||27.4 cm / 10.8"|
|Depth||41 cm / 16.1"|
|Weight||29 kg / 63 lb|
|Recommended amplifier power||25-200 W|
|Bandwidth, -6dB||36 Hz - 25 kHz|
|Accuracy||+/- 2.0 dB|
|Sensitivity, 2.8v, 1M, FS||88.5 dB|
Finishes(click for larger sample)
Where do I begin? My journey began with a growing dissatisfaction for my current loudspeakers (Linkwitz Orion's) there was something missing which I couldn't put my finger on or should I say Ear. This slowly led to being dissatisfied with my entire system all the way down to the cables. So, I set out on a mission combing every internet site, review article, manufacturers' websites and of course showrooms. I started with the high-end brands in the showrooms and quickly became disappointed and discouraged with the whole showroom experience and still unable to find the sound I was looking for.
While reading one of the many user groups someone had mentioned how much they loved the sound of a Bamberg loudspeaker (can't recall which one). This led me down the path looking for anything I could find on Bamberg which ultimately guided me to Bamberg Audio. So, after many phone calls and emails with Phil we managed to arrange our schedules for a weekend of loudspeaker listening. How often does this happen, that you are able to audition loudspeakers with the designer in his home? NEVER!
The first thing we do is look over the Series 2-TMM and let me tell you there is not one aspect of this loudspeaker that will disappoint. The design, finish, hardware and drivers are all A+. The finish alone draws positive comments from everyone that sees them.
Finally, we get to the sound. After many months of anticipation we sit down on the sofa about 7' or so from the speakers which at the time seemed very close but I was soon to discover it was perfect.
WOW! I was engulfed in a sound that I had been looking for most of my adult life. It's a sound that you just can't put your finger on; none of the traditional descriptors that are used to identify loudspeakers seem to fit: words like warm, bright, forward, boxy and the list goes on. So, here is my attempt at describing the Series 2-TMM. It feels like music should sound. They are not artificial. They have a soul. They make you forget about all the engineering behind them, and finally ... they do not sound like a loudspeaker. They make music.
I could not be happier or more satisfied with the decisions I made with the Bamberg Series 2 loudspeaker. It has been one of the most memorable and satisfying buying experiences I have ever had.
Blake Brocato, Jan 2012